The Resource All the light we cannot see
- All the light we cannot see
- Statement of responsibility
- Anthony Doerr
- trueSecond World War era (1939-1945) -- 1939 -- 1945
- Saint-Malo (France) -- Fiction
- truePersonal conduct
- truePeople who are blind
- trueAdult books for young adults
- Blind -- Fiction
- trueCoastal towns
- trueFamily relationships
- trueFathers and daughters
- trueFrance -- History -- German occupation, 1940-1945
- France -- History -- German occupation, 1940-1945 -- Fiction
- trueGermans in France
- trueGermany -- History -- 1933-1945
- trueHistorical fiction
- Historical fiction
- Large type books
- trueLiterary fiction
- trueMen/women relations
- trueMultiple perspectives
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Youth -- Germany -- Fiction
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Youth -- France -- Fiction
- trueWorld War II
- trueWar and society
- "From the highly acclaimed, multiple award-winning Anthony Doerr, a stunningly ambitious and beautiful novel about a blind French girl and a German boy whose paths collide in occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II. Marie Laure lives with her father in Paris within walking distance of the Museum of Natural History where he works as the master of the locks (there are thousands of locks in the museum). When she is six, she goes blind, and her father builds her a model of their neighborhood, every house, every manhole, so she can memorize it with her fingers and navigate the real streets with her feet and cane. When the Germans occupy Paris, father and daughter flee to Saint-Malo on the Brittany coast, where Marie-Laure's agoraphobic great uncle lives in a tall, narrow house by the sea wall. In another world in Germany, an orphan boy, Werner, grows up with his younger sister, Jutta, both enchanted by a crude radio Werner finds. He becomes a master at building and fixing radios, a talent that wins him a place at an elite and brutal military academy and, ultimately, makes him a highly specialized tracker of the Resistance. Werner travels through the heart of Hitler Youth to the far-flung outskirts of Russia, and finally into Saint-Malo, where his path converges with Marie-Laure. Doerr's gorgeous combination of soaring imagination with observation is electric. Deftly interweaving the lives of Marie-Laure and Werner, Doerr illuminates the ways, against all odds, people try to be good to one another. Ten years in the writing, All the Light We Cannot See is his most ambitious and dazzling work"--
- ALA Notable Book, 2015.
- Alex Award, 2015.
- Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction, 2015.
- Australian Book Industry Awards, International Book of the Year, 2015.
- Booklist Editors' Choice, 2014.
- Goodreads Choice Award, 2014.
- Indies' Choice Book Awards, Adult Fiction, 2015.
- Library Journal Best Books, 2014.
- LibraryReads Favorites, 2014
- New York Times Notable Book, 2014
- Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, 2015.
- School Library Journal Best Books: Best Adult Books 4 Teens, 2014
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- A77 2014b
- Literary form
- Nature of contents
- Series statement
- Thorndike Press large print reviewers' choice
- Target audience
ContextContext of All the light we cannot see
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work All the light we cannot see
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.pikeco.lib.in.us/resource/-2FFZut07jQ/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.pikeco.lib.in.us/resource/-2FFZut07jQ/">All the light we cannot see</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.pikeco.lib.in.us/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.pikeco.lib.in.us/">Pike County Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>